Thursday 19 January 2017

ACUVUE® Oasys® 1-Day, The Lens That Keeps Up With My Demanding Days...

In my quarter of a century existence (Yes, I am proudly saying this since my birthday is officially over. Hahaha), I have been wearing glasses for almost 2/3 of my life. I started wearing glasses (full-time) since Primary 2 and have always preferred glasses for my day-to-day activities. Frankly, the reason why I always stuck to glasses – even though I hated how much it fogs when I run and how I can’t see anything when I swim – is because of 1 simple reason – Laziness! Oops =X. Anyhow, about 10 years ago, a friend asked me to give contact lenses a try and I did, starting with dailies. Although daily contact lenses were more expensive, it all boils down to the same reason (*coughs* Laziness *ahem*) because I didn't want to go through the trouble of washing or cleaning my lenses and knowing myself (how lazy I may get), I don't want to risk getting an eye infection. So, I decided that dailies would be my go-to then on.

Just few weeks back, I’ve had the opportunity of an eye examination courtesy of SingPost/ Sample Store and ACUVUE®. I went online to get myself registered and got a $30 e-voucher before getting my lenses. You can too! I will share the download and redemption details further down in this post…

After registering yourself, you will notice a long list (A very comprehensive list!) of eye care providers listed where you can utilise and redeem this $30 e-voucher. So naturally, human instincts, I chose the one closest to me… Eyechamp Flagship at nex (Serangoon MRT station). Not only was it located close to my house, I often pass by the store and each time I do, it never fails to impress me - the clean white concept of the store and rows of glasses on display! It’s no wonder they called it their Flagship outlet!
Photo Courtesy of Eyechamp

I made an appointment before heading down to their outlet and met up with one of their Optometrist, Yock Teng – who’s, by the way, very friendly. When I arrived in store, it could be peak hour after dinner crowd but they seemed a little short-handed. Nonetheless, Yock Teng kindly informed me to take a seat at their special and cosy “ACUVUE® corner” and she’ll get to me shortly.
Photo Courtesy of Eyechamp

When she came over, she started asking how was my day, and what I do at work, etc. Initially I thought she was only asking that to make conversations but, I was wrong! She was trying to find out my daily routine and requirement and explain how I can benefit if I used the ACUVUE® Oasys® 1-Day lenses compared to other daily lenses. As I was wearing my glasses, Yock Teng asked if she could check the degree on it first and then check on my eyes later so I passed her my glasses and stayed “almost blind” for a minute just sitting there. My degrees are pretty high, approximately 650 on each eye. And once she came back, she directed me to “Shin-san”, the eye machine where you stare at a hot air balloon image while they check your eyes briefly…
Shin-Nippon AKA "Shin-san"

She then led me to the refraction room to settle down while she prepares…
Yes, you're seeing a mini reflection of me in the mirror

Before we started with the regular refraction test, where they add and remove lenses to check your degrees, she set my face on another machine and did an eye health check for me.


Is it just me, but, having worn glasses for so many years, I have never once recalled an eye health check before. Never! So this eye health check was a new and a pretty interesting experience.

After the eye check, Yock Teng mentioned that I had Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. It sounds so chim right? But she said it’s nothing serious and it usually happens when I rub my eyes. She asked if I often rub my eyes since I am always looking at the computer screen and all… And yes, I am very guilty. In any case, to recover from it, all I had to do was 1, to resist rubbing my eyes, and 2, to ensure my eye lids are kept clean and oil free by cleaning it with lid wipes for the next 2 weeks or so and it will clear naturally.
The eye health chart is on the right panel

After the refraction test, she mentioned there was a slight increase in my left eye degree. As all eye tests, we know how straining it can get and with that increase, I realised images got even sharper and my eyes got more tired. She asked if I wanted to increase my contact lens degrees but I highlighted that I was worried the sharpness would give me a headache at work with the computer screens and all. She understood my concern, and suggested that I retain my current degree for now and return to get new prescriptions if I feel I can’t see as clear after anymore.

I think I mentioned earlier about their special and cosy “ACUVUE® corner”. They do support lens fitting for first time users here as well so you won’t get lost on what to do when you first put on contact lenses. I wish when I first started wearing contacts, there were such “tutorials”. It would have been so much more helpful knowing and learning from the experts, rather than fumbling through on your own.

All these testing took approximately 30mins and Yock Teng made sure I was comfortable with her speed. In fact, because there was minimal increase in my degree, I was left very confused in the refraction room when she asked me to compare lens 1 and lens 2. Kudos to her patience! In any case, I left the store a happy customer with my new ACUVUE® OASYS® 1-Day lenses that retails for $72 per box (for 30 lenses). I have different degree on each eye so, I got one of each and with the $30 e-voucher, I only paid $114 for 2 boxes! Whee… Cheers to more savings!

I couldn't wait to start wearing my lenses, to test out “the lens that keeps up with my demanding days” like what ACUVUE® claims. So, I started my first pair a few days later when I went out for bowling! I was really amazed at how comfortable the eyes felt when I first put it on. And how, even with the strong air-conditioning in the bowling alley, my eyes stayed comfortable with no dryness at all. Even though I’ve only worn it for approximately 8 hours that day, and approximately 3 hours in the bowling alley, I could feel the difference because my previous lenses would have left my eyes dry and you would definitely see me “pouring” eye drops!
Me with the lenses and my mum...

The next week, I stepped up the challenge and wore my ACUVUE® OASYS® 1-Day lenses to work! Muahahaha! The ultimate test of computer screens and a night out – donning the lenses for a total of 16hours (leaving the house at 0700hrs, and returning home approximately 2300hrs). 

Guess what? Again, unlike my previous lenses where they tend to dry out by the 8 hour mark, the ACUVUE® OASYS® 1-Day lens actually lasted till the end of the day. I had my eye drops on standby because I knew I had a long day but the amazing thing was that I didn't need it at all. Even the removal was easy. For those of you that have habits of wearing your daily lenses for long hours would know that some lenses dry out faster and are pretty difficult to remove. But the ACUVUE® OASYS® 1-Day lens was pretty alright! Seriously #achievementunlocked! Definitely my go-to lenses for a long and active day!

Try it for yourself and #seemyworld!
You can download the $30 e-voucher from http://www.acuvue.com.sg/e-voucher
Each box of ACUVUE® OASYS® 1-Day consists of 30 lenses and retails at SGD $72.
Do note that the voucher can also be used for other ACUVUE® key brands such as Define™, MOIST® for Astigmatism, MOIST® Brand Multifocal.

However, I would strongly suggest that you give the ACUVUE® OASYS® 1-Day a try. Especially for first jobbers’, these lenses are sure to help you transit from your student life into a more demanding working lifestyle.

“This post was created in partnership with SingPost / Sample Store and ACUVUE®”


Oh right… Before I end off…. FUN FACT!
You know how sometimes when you put in your contact lenses and they don't sit right? You feel that nagging tinge on your eye that makes you want to remove your contact lenses, flip them, and put them in again? With almost all ACUVUE® lenses, you will never have to do that and waste any time. If you look at the lens package, and realise there is a lens logo with 123 printed, try looking even closer on the actual contact lenses before putting them in your eyes. 
I don't know if you can see. It's beside the CE
You should be able to see the same laser-marked 123 on the lenses. Put them in and they will fit just right! If you see 321, it means your lenses are inverted and the fit would not be comfortable. Flip them before wearing and you won’t have to suffer the nagging tinge at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment